Pickens, SC, adds to the Upstate Heritage Quilt Trail
The Pickens Senior Center located in the Hagood Community Center at 129 School House Street, Pickens, SC, joined the Upstate Heritage Quilt Trail. The quilt block was sponsored by the Hagood Community Center Fiber Arts Program. The original quilt was made by Mrs. Mary E. Granger (1932-2008) as a Bicentennial quilt. A native of Rochester, NY, she received degrees in nursing and art history. It was the latter training that yielded years of creativity. Her talents showed in the areas of dress making, pen and ink drawings, photography, reverse painting on glass, traditional rug hooking, painting and quilt making.
She married her husband, James, during his medical school training. After graduation, he re-entered the service as a physician in the US Army Medical Corps. While stationed in the Washington, DC, area, she met and was influenced over the years by Jinny Byers. Mary started her Bicentennial quilt while the family was stationed in Augusta, GA, and continued to work on it as she moved from Georgia to North Carolina to Tennessee. When finished, it was featured in Ms. Byers “Medallion Quilt Book”, a reference book at the Pickens Senior Center. Then Governor Lamar Alexander, now Senator Alexander, wanted to buy the quilt, but Mary wisely declined.
This spectacular quilt is done in red, white and blue, with four eagles, and medallions of stars and tassels in celebration of the four Presidents of this nation from Virginia – George Washington, James Madison, James Monroe and Thomas Jefferson.
Dr. Granger hopes the quilt and others in her collection will be enjoyed by the Pickens community, as well as her other collections gathered over the years: sewing items, antique clocks, Depression glass, sheet music of old popular melodic songs, and reference books related to these collections.
The Pickens Senior Center is the current owner of the quilt and is housed in a building begun in 1929 as the Pickens Mill School for the children whose parents worked at the Mill.
Roberts Presbyterian Church in Anderson joins the Upstate Heritage Quilt Trail
The Road to Jericho quilt block is designed from a quilt made from fabrics collected over several decades by Clara Webb Lindsay, in 1995. Clara, a longtime resident of Anderson County, attended Roberts until her death in 1998 at the age of 89. The cloth quilt now belongs to her niece, Judy Stevanovich, who is a member of Roberts and lives in Anderson. The quilt block was sponsored by members of the Unfinished Objects Quilt Bee who meet regularly at Roberts Church.
The quilt pattern is a deviation of the String Quilt pattern with the Road to Jericho running through the quilt. Over 250 hours were spent first mapping and then painting the block by a dozen church members along with the Anderson County Production Team. The Road to Jericho Quilt block now hangs on the cemetery side of the church sanctuary.
The Road to Jericho is infamous for the story of the Good Samaritan who journeyed on the 20 miles from Jerusalem to Jericho. It is a rocky and treacherous journey with a descent from Mount Olives to the Jordan valley below dropping about 4000 feet. There are many places along the road that allows for hiding places for robbers and murders.
A poor man was traveling along the road when robbers attack him. Because he was poor all they took from him were his clothes and left him beaten and bleeding. Two travelers came by, a priest and a Levite. Extending no compassion to the destitute and wounded man, they crossed to the other side of the road and went on their way. But shortly, a Samaritan happened by and extended help to the wounded man. The kind, generous benevolence paid to this poor stranger has been retold in every generation since. It will forever exemplify the Christian attitude toward those in need without respect for race, wealth, or standing in the community.
Roberts Church has been here for spiritual guidance to the community since 1789. It was named for a Colonel Roberts who was deeded land in the area in 1784. The whole area was known as the Roberts Community. There are still some member families who can trace their roots back to the founding of Roberts Church, or Simpson’s Meeting House. It was also referred to as the “father of Presbyterianism in Anderson County.” Similarly, it can be said that Roberts’s church was the “mother church” to First Presbyterian and the “grandmother church” to Central Presbyterian, both in the city of Anderson. The main church building was rebuilt in 1824, 1857 and 1937. Major Renovations and additional facilities were completed in 1965, 1994 and 2000. Additional property was purchased in 1990 and 2010.
For more information and to see pictures of other quilt blocks on the Quilt Trail, visit (www.uhqt.org).